Wednesday, August 4, 2010

California




Sitting in a park in paris, france
Reading the news and it sure looks bad
They won’t give peace a chance
That was just a dream some of us had
Still a lot of lands to see
But I wouldn’t want to stay here
It’s too old and cold and settled in it’s ways here
Oh, but california
California I’m coming home
I’m going to see the folks I dig
I’ll even kiss a sunset pig
California I’m coming home

- Joni Michell


Joni
Michell lyrics run through my head every time I get ready to go to California. I arrived on sunday and am only here till friday, too short perhaps for a place so close to my heart but life moves on. Mornings have been filled with coffee and rich conversations with mom and elise that stretch into the early afternoon. Evenings have been spent catching up with friends and extended family, trying to match schedules so I am able to make the most of my time and see all the people who have made an impact in my life here. I have also been trying to soak up as much 'california' as possible spending time at the beach, by the pool and going to the hollywood bowl. Last night I went to see Gershwin with my dad and a friend from chicago, david ulrich. Rapsody in Blue under the stars and a warm summer sky gave me the chills it was so beautiful.

Being here reminds me of all the reasons I love California, but also all the reasons I left. The dry brushy mountians and oak chaparral is beautiful in its own way and brings back memories of so many adventures, but it can not compare to the lush north west. Also, how can California be at the same time so crowded but so lonely? Every I look we are in the process of destroying the land to create homes so large and spread out it is as if we are trying to avoid our neighbors from the outside, and our family from the inside. I somehow got stuck on the 91 around 3:30 and spent about two hours getting home on what would normally be a thirty minute ride. I was bumper to bumper with commuters who are used to spending these two hours alone in their cars. So crowded but so lonely. Fortunately I was with my friend Katie Connette and it was some of the best spent time since I have been here. I am always shocked when I come home at the distance between destinations, the absolute necessity of cars and the overwhelming presence of large chain stores and strip malls.

A special shout out goes to my sister who made me a lovely birthday gift, a one of a kind painting. It will have a home in my home in spokane.

1 comment:

  1. i looooooove Rhapsody in Blue, you're so lucky to have heard a performance. That piece always reminds me of Manhattan (and United Airlines for obvious reasons).

    ReplyDelete