"The kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these"
Matthew 19:14

I am one of those bible students who said a prayer asking jesus into my heart when I was four. When I was supposed to be taking a nap I was instead jumping on my mom and dad's bed singing a song I was making up about animals. Part of it went, "God made the monkeys, God made the trees!" I remember being impressed with God as a creator, if He could create me and this world I wanted to be on His side. I knew Jesus had something to do with this and I prayed for Jesus to come into my heart.
When I was fourteen I questioned what I believed and since then I have gone through seasons of doubt and questioning. Me and my relationship with God had changed so drastically since I was four that I stopped considering my prayer as a child as the moment I accepted Christ. What could I have possibly understood as a four year old? I was probably following what my parents and sunday school teachers wanted me to do. For a couple of years I have been opposed to child evangelism, which I equated to brain-washing.
But reading through Romans for my Jan term class I began to ask myself, how much of my salvation really depends on me? At what point are my reasoning capabilities developed enough to make this kind of decision? When is my theology good enough to accept Christ? To God, in his infinite wisdom, I am still a baby. I did not receive His righteousness because I made a mature decision, or understood the entirety of the gospel. I am always going to be maturing, but I fully received His grace when He moved me to understood in my little four year old brain that I was not in a perfect relationship with the creator, and Jesus was the way to Him.
What a awesome God I serve whose grace a little child can accept, this is free grace. "What then becomes of our boasting? It is excluded" (Romans 3:27).
Wow a feather!

No comments:
Post a Comment