Monday, September 24, 2012

Reading the Signs

If I were to see a miracle, I hope I would know it. Then why it is so easy live as if every event was expected? Why don't I take the time to stop and recognize that no, in fact, this moment is unique? God blends these extraordinary moments so artistically and seamlessly into our life it becomes one big picture. It can all be one extraordinary beautiful picture, one big miracle, or it can be one dull plane of ordinariness. To my dismay I may have said, along with the crowd that followed Jesus,

"When the Christ appears, will he do more signs than this man has done?" (John 7:31)

Praying for a job started as practical but became increasingly desperate and imploring. Until it hit me, God isn't going to help me get a job. He is not a fairy that waves a wand over my hard work for good luck. It is going to be all because of Him and I should not keep any of the glory for myself. I had been spending hours upon hours revising my resume, talking up my job history and writing self flattering cover letters. I took a deep breath and handed it over to Him. The next day I got a call asking for a interview. It could be easily written off as coincidence, that it would happen eventually. It was not coincidence.

I took another deep breath and googled "missional church detroit". One mysterious website called Emerge Detroit popped up. We met a few good people who love Jesus and live in our neighborhood. Yesterday we found ourselves just a few blocks from our house praying with one other person we had just met. My interview had gone well and we prayed for one more phone call that would confirm I had gotten the job. We also prayed for Christopher and I that we would be continuing to discover our role in the Detroit Community.

After biking home in the brisk fall afternoon I looked at my phone, I had gotten the job. The moment almost faded into the haze of routine, then it come back through the haze and became clear. I realized that God had been answering our prayers while we had been praying, for community and a great job. I am going to be working with at-risk families in Detroit supporting, coaching and mentoring parents. I can not think of anything I would rather be doing.




Homework, "Red, White and Bruises". This is not a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment