Thursday, February 11, 2010

Life In Story: II

"God created man because He loves story"
Elie Wiesel

"He said nothing to them that without a parable. this was to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet;
I will open my mouth in parables;
I will utter what has been hidden
since the foundation of the world"
- Matthew 13: 35

" The importance of poetry and novels is that the Christian life involves the use of imagination - after all, we are dealing with the invisible...We live in narrative, we live in story."
- Eugene Petersen

Story seems to be a theme of this phase of my life. I am taking a class called Core Concepts in Biblical Mentoring: Storytelling. Who would have thought? I am challenged to constantly read life and to read scriptures the way I read literature. With savor, with intentionality, with sensitivity. I tend to think of the details of life as random, dull and cumbersome. This is by no means how God sees his creation. My existence, the existence of humanity and God's romance with us is the greatest most beautiful drama ever created, the source of inspiration for every poem, play, novel and song ever written.

The earth is full of imagery. Full of characters, rhymes, rhythms, music, themes, poetry, music, magic, characters and relationships. As a follower of Jesus, I don't need to separate myself from reality to experience this magic I know I am missing. As I move closer to Christ I am moving closer to reality, a person who was both perfectly material, perfectly spiritual and perfectly real (true).

When we read literature one looks for details that are significant. Colors and words that are repeated. Why did I ever imagine God does not author the Colors and repetition in my life for a reason? God forgive me. Some day I wonder if I will ever watch my life again, in slow motion, with commentary from God. I would imagine from this perspective life would be infinitely funnier, sadder and more beautiful and more meaningful than I ever knew at the time. I will notice details that seemed insignificant at the time, and see the beauty of God’s authorship in the details.

And when it comes to the Bible...

As a western culture we are a scientific culture, not a story telling culture. There are parts of the bible that speak specifically to the scientific mindset, but the overwhelming majority of the bible, over 70%, is written in story (history) and poetry. The bible is The Drama, and The Story to which all stories are pointing if they like it or not.

Perhaps we are so wrapped ‘proper hermeneutics’ and finding the human author’s original meaning that we forget the bible is CO-authored. That God loves poetry and details every more than we do. We don’t need to be afraid to ask questions like, “Why did God choose that character, that word, that object, location…” God was in those details. Maybe we will read the bible the same way we will watch our life, in slow motion, with God’s commentary. Maybe the bible is infinitely funnier, sadder, more beautiful and more meaningful than I ever dared imagine.

Our rational, scientific mindset also makes us uncomfortable with miracles in the bible. We try to explain them away scientifically, or ignore them. We love the magic of Harry Potter, Lord of The Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Alice in Wonderland and Twilight or the sort-of-magic in Star Treck and other Sci-Fi, but we are uncomfortable when someone actually walks through a wall. (Luke 24:36-39). If we sense layers of reality, with laws of nature we do not understand, we can expect ‘magic’ if you will, when God’s ultra reality intersects the reality we understand. Heck, animals talk, fire comes out of no where, the sun stops and seas open up. When God finally lives with us things get crazy. He walks on water and through walls, heals people, brings people to life, turns water into wine, multiplies bread and fish. Finally he dies, comes back to life and flies into the sky! If this is God, and he is bringing his Kingdom, then maybe we should get comfortable reading fantasy and sci-fi. We need to cultivate our imagination a little and be more sensitive to what God is doing around us now, the two cannot be divorced.

"The stars are alive, child. Did you know that? Everything out there is alive, and there are grand purposes abroad! The universe is full of intentions, you know. Everything happens for a purpose.”

The Golden Compass

"The Earth is satisfied with the fruit of your work...You renew the face of the ground."

Psalm 104

If you are thirsty for more, this blog inspires me on this subject.

http://mrpond47.wordpress.com/

1 comment: