Friday, March 11, 2011

Coffee

Sitting in a favorite coffee shop doing homework. Found a friend from school here and we had a brief conversation about how God has used skateboarding in his life. For him it was something that brought him into relationship with believers who also skateboarded, who eventually lead him to Christ. For a while he gave up skateboarding with the mindset that God had more important, more difficult and less enjoyable things in his future. He found he missed it and when he took it up again he was able to have an incredible impact on kids in his neighborhood using skateboarding as a bridge to build relationships.

When I went to moody I had a similar mindset. God would ask me to give up everything and every one I loved to go to some remote place where I would suffer for his sake. God asks different things of different people and all believers are called to a painful process of sanctification, where God forms us into the image of Christ. There is sacrifice involved. However God has been orchestrating our past experiences, our personalities, interests, passions friends and families to be used in our 'ministry', what ever that is. I am now looking forward to graduating and using my passions and interests for God in what ever I end up doing with my life. I went in to moody with a timid vision of being involved in a coffee shop as ministry, I feared that God would take that vision away from me and make me do something less enjoyable. However I am looking forward now to how God will use my experience, skills and interest as a bridge into relationship with others and hopefully a way to share grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment