Sunday, October 18, 2009

Favorite Things About Chicago



In case you are wondering yes, I do live in downtown Chicago. These pictures were taken by my mac of my window.



A few of my favorite things about Chicago are;

The CTA
(Chicago Transit Authority, This includes buses and the 'L' elevated train)

-Most obviously, it is a good way to get around the city. Almost as fast, and much less stressful, much cheaper (especially with an unlimited university pass) not to mention easier on the environment than a car.
-It is not too complicated to understand, and it feels like a great accomplishment when I can know where I am going without having to look at a map like a tourist.
-The fact that it does not run on my schedule makes me lose a bit of my individualistic mindset and forces me to join the community as we wait for something that does not depend on us. Its kinda a cool feeling.
-It forces you to interact with people you wouldn't normally interact with in any other situation. People who take the CTA are from all demographics of the city, maybe it is only on the CTA that we are together. There are business people and homeless people. It is an equalizer.
- The Buss drivers are sometimes pretty awesome.
-You are almost guaranteed to have a interesting story...good or bad about someone next to you on the CTA.
-The 'L' is almost as fun as a roller coaster.
-You can read a book.
-If you take CTA a lot, you will start seeing people you know.

Parks
Chicago has done a wonderful job with its parks. Here are some of my favorite;
-Washington Square Park. This is the closest to my school and is also called, 'Moody make-out park'. It is small but has a pretty fountain. Sometimes I spread out my blanket here and do homework, or just walk as I talk on the phone.
-Serenca Park. This one is right in front of the Museum of Modern Art. It is small, shady. I like it because it is right behind Michigan avenue, but if feels hidden. I have had lunch here more than once when I need a moment to myself. (There are also less Moody students here...)
-Lake Shore Park. This is behind the Museum of Modern Art. There is a track and I sometimes run here, or just swing on the swing set.
-Linclon Park. Is huge. Wickipedia says Lincoln Park is a 1,200 acer park along Chicago's lakefront facing Lake Michigan. I can walk to the southern tip of Lincoln Park from where I live, I often run there and one of the best things about it is a free zoo!

The awesome thing is there are tons more parks...these are just the few I frequent at the moment...There is more I like about Chicago too, hopefully more to come to this post.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Kori! What an amazing view, so excited to see what you are up to. Loving the blog updates. Miss you tons.
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete