Monday, October 26, 2009

Moody Days

For my dear friends and family at home wondering what I do in chicago with all my free tuition this is a typical day in my life...


Classes in the morning. I am currently taking; Studying and Teaching the Bible, Bible Introduction, Christianity and Western Culture, Principles and Practices of Urban Ministry and Race, Poverty and Social Justice.


The thing I enjoy the most about my classes is the books I am reading. So far one of my favriotes was Whatever It Takes by Paul Tough. It follows Geoffery Canada as he undertakes the challenge of completely turning around the community of Harlem in New York. His answer to the lack of opportunity he sees is the Harlem Children's Zone, a sweeping series of programs that educates children and adults specifically for the purpose of raising the community above poverty. He tackles the problems with the cool precision of a business man, rather than the typical 'feel good' approach that only sometimes works.


Every student has to be involved in a PCM (Practical Christian Ministry). For my PCM I am involved in the Lyola, Campus Crusade For Christ. I attend the weekly main meeting, sometimes bible studies and other events through the week too. I will be going on a retreat with the Loyola Cru and North Western Cru in just a couple of weeks. My goal in all this is to build relationships. It is refreshing for me to be around people my age who don't go to moody, so its hardly a chore for me to be doing this.


Youth, especially college age, in cities is something I am passionate about. I feel the pain of this generation, because I am one too! I also know how absolutely necessary Christ is to this culture. I hope to be in cities with young people for the rest of my life.


In other news, the Apffel ladies are making a splash in our school news paper, The Moody Standard. I was quoted once for a article on coffee shop etiquette (where the spelled my name apfell, its ok, I love them) and once for a quote on a John Piper book called Let The Nations Be Glad, that I love and may have changed my life. But more significantly Elise got a whole article on the front page entitled, A Look At Spokane Life. Let me give you a taste,
"Spokane has been called the paris of the American Northwest. Actually I've called it that. Generally I've heard others refer to it as 'Spokompton'. Spokane as a destination may not be able to boast more attractions than its Moodian sister city, Chicago, but this Mecca of ourdoorsmen, hippies and young families is a unique and remarkable little/big city." She quotes one of our friends Keaton who says, "I like that the city serves as a campus, for learning, and growing and reaching the city for Christ". Elise finishes saying, "Sometimes I don't even feel like I am going to 'school'. We are a community that is learning, working, serving and living together". Brava Elise!

No comments:

Post a Comment